29 January 2021
We are pleased to announce that our Junior Sailing School will start on Monday, June 28th, 2021, barring any unforeseen COVID-related issues which would alter our plans.
We completely renovated our fleet of Optimists and 420 dinghies last year. We are well prepared for the upcoming season and look forward to welcoming your children to one of our programs.
Please refer back to this page or contact our office to learn of any changes to the program. If we are unable to adequately abide by the necessary health and safety guidelines while providing an enjoyable learning experience for your children, a full refund will be issued for all processed registrations.
Register for Youth sailing speaking series:
Welcome to the Junior Sailing Program of the Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club
The Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club offers your child a unique junior sailing experience this summer.
Youth sailors learn about sportsmanship, perseverance, fitness, respect, responsibility and confidence. They develop tight friendships which often last a lifetime.
What makes us proud of our program?
- 50 year tradition
- open to the public
- ages 5-17
- 5 programs per summer offered in 1, 2 or 4-week sessions
- over 100 sailors per summer
- Race team sails 6 months of the year
- Instructors & coaches: bilingual, dynamic, experienced
- Limited class sizes to maximize quality teaching and safety
- WetFeet program for 5-7 yr olds
The Club provides sailors with well-maintained and safe boats:
- Optimist Dinghies: 1 per boat
- Club 420s – 2 per boat
- Race team members provide their own boats and equipment.
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m
- Monday to Friday, including week day stat holidays
- Early drop of and early pick up: 8 a.m . to 5 p.m. More info here
For the junior sailors who would like to use the pool facilities, junior memberships are available for the time the student is registered.
Our programs are designed so your child can follow a natural progression in developing confidence, skills and experience in sailing and looking after a boat. Sailing is a complex sport and mastering it is done in stages. For young sailors, we recommend progressing through:
- Wet Feet program for the 5-7 years old for an introduction to sailing;
- For those who are learning sailing for the first time try our Learn-to-Sail (Optimist) that caters to single handed sailors or Learn-to-Sail (420) for those who are looking for a two person, ''double-handed'' sailing experience;
- Advanced - Single Handed (Optimist) for youth under 13 years of age who have passed Learn-to-Sail or CanSail 1 & 2;
- Advanced - Double Handed (420) for youth between 10-17 years of age who have passed Learn-to-Sail or CanSail 1 & 2 or previous Advanced-Single Handed or Double-Handed programs.
Junior Program Achievements
OLYMPIANS: Ian Bruce, Peter Bjorn, Evert Bastet, Kai Bjorn, Tyler Bjorn, Chantal Leger
AMERICA'S CUP: Kai Bjorn
NATIONAL TEAM MEMBERS: Ian Bruce, Peter Bjorn, Evert Bastet, Peter Hall, Kai Bjorn, Tyler Bjorn, Lindsay Staniforth, Ali Mathews, Jen Blanchard, Mimi Winlo, Stephanie Taylor, Sylvie Di Lullo, Megan Armitage
PROGRAM OF THE YEAR: 1988, 1990, 1993, 1997, 2013