Welcome to the Junior Sailing Program of the Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club
The Royal St. Lawrence Yacht Club offers your child a unique junior sailing experience this summer.
Youth sailors learn about sportsmanship, perseverance, fitness, respect, responsibility and confidence. They develop tight friendships which often last a lifetime.
What makes us proud of our program ?
- 50 year tradition
- open to the public
- ages 5-17
- 5 programs per summer offered in 1, 2 or 4 week sessions
- over 100 sailors per summer
- Race team sails 6 months of the year
- Instructors & coaches: bilingual, dynamic, experienced
- Limited class sizes to maximize quality teaching and safety
- WetFeet program for 5-7 yr olds
The Club provides sailors with well-maintained and safe boats:
- Optimist Dinghies: 1 per boat
- Club 420s – 2 per boat
- Race team members provide their own boats and equipment.
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m
- Monday to Friday, including week day stat holidays
For the junior sailor who would like to use the pool facilities, junior memberships are available for the time the student is registered.
Our programs are designed so your child can follow a natural progression in developing confidence, skills and experience in sailing and looking after a boat. Sailing is a complex sport and mastering it is done in stages. For young sailors, we recommend progressing through:
- Wet Feet program for the 5-7 years old for an introduction to sailing;
- Learn-to-Sail or Double-Handed for those who are learning sailing for the first time;
- Advanced Single Handed for the under-12 years of age who have passed Learn-to-Sail;
- Advanced Double Handed for graduates of Advanced-Single Handed or Double-Handed;
- Racing Silver Program for graduates of advanced double handed.
Junior Program Achievements
OLYMPIANS: Ian Bruce, Peter Bjorn, Evert Bastet, Kai Bjorn, Tyler Bjorn, Chantal Leger
AMERICA'S CUP: Kai Bjorn
NATIONAL TEAM MEMBERS: Ian Bruce, Peter Bjorn, Evert Bastet, Peter Hall, Kai Bjorn, Tyler Bjorn, Lindsay Staniforth, Ali Mathews, Jen Blanchard, Mimi Winlo, Stephanie Taylor, Sylvie Di Lullo, Megan Armitage
PROGRAM OF THE YEAR: '88, '90, '93, '97,'13